Are you at risk of homelessness or eviction?

We can help you understand your housing rights and guide you to services and resources that will assist you with finding appropriate accommodation or support if you’re facing homelessness or eviction.

What are my housing rights?

The Reduction in Homelessness Act 2017 sets out new duties on English local authorities, with the aim of preventing homelessness. Everyone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness should have access to help, irrespective of their priority need status.

Croydon Council housing options self-help tool

Croydon Council
housing options
self-help tool

You can use the housing options self–help tool if you have been asked to leave your accommodation or are at risk of losing your home.
You will be given an appointment to speak to a housing officer, who will conduct an assessment and advise you on the support you can receive.

What happens if I am being evicted or at risk of being evicted?

Eviction orders can be enforced where the landlord has a valid warrant of possession. Bailiffs must provide 14 days’ notice of an eviction. They have been asked by the government not to carry out an eviction if anyone living in the property has COVID-19 symptoms or is self-isolating.

What benefits can I claim to pay my rent?

You may be eligible for benefits to help pay rent, such as Housing Benefit and the Universal Credit (Housing Element) if you are on a low income. Our support workers can advise you on this and support you to complete the application process.

What services and support can I access if I am experiencing domestic abuse and looking to find safe accommodation?

We have a Domestic Abuse Advisor available at the Space. You can book an appointment, contact us via email or phone, or come as a walk-in to the centre.

There are other organisations available you can contact if you are fleeing domestic abuse:


The FJC provides support and a safety plan for people experiencing domestic abuse.
They also facilitate weekly MARAC meetings. Referrals can be made by the person requiring support by attending a drop-in centre, which is arranged by calling or emailing the FJC.

A professional acting on behalf of a client can also complete a referral form, which is available on their website.

  • Telephone: 020 8688 0100
  • Email:

Out of hours support can be provided by the 24-hour National Domestic Violence free helpline: 0808 2000 247.

Refuge Against Domestic Violence

Refuge Against Domestic Violence operates a 24-hour domestic abuse helpline as well as a live chat feature. They also offer a range of resources and advice on their website.

Telephone: 0808 2000 247


Galop provides support to LGBT+ who are experiencing domestic abuse. They operate a helpline and offer a range of resources and advice on their website.

Telephone: 0800 999 5428

I identify as LGBTQ+ and am homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. How do I access support?

Research conducted by the Albert Kennedy Trust found almost one in four young homeless people identifies as LGBT. 44% said they were unaware of housing support when they last experienced homelessness. If you are aged 16-25, AKT can also give you information and guidance on housing issues.

If you identify as LGBTQ+, Stonewall Housing can offer you housing advice and support. They also provide safe and secure accommodation, through supported accommodation in four London boroughs. Telephone: 020 7359 5767

Would you like to talk to someone?