Problems with your landlord or housing provider?

Landlords and housing providers have legal responsibilities to their tenants that ensure the safety and integrity of the property. As a tenant, you have certain rights and protections that we can help you understand and utilise.

What legal protection do I have?

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 sets out various rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants. You should refer to your tenancy/licence agreement, which sets out your rights and responsibilities.

What responsibilities do private landlords have?

There are laws and procedures landlords are required to follow concerning things like rent increases, eviction processes, visiting a property and placing your deposit in an approved tenancy deposit scheme.

How is social housing different from private renting?

If you live in social housing, then you will either be a tenant of your local authority or a housing association. The landlords also need to abide by requirements set out by the Regulator of Social Housing. More information on the regulatory framework can be found on the Regulatory Framework – GOV.UK.

How do I go through a complaints procedure?

You should follow the complaints procedure as set out by your private or social landlord. If you are not happy with the outcome, you can contact your local MP for support or take your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman Service. They can support you and your landlord to resolve disputes.

Our support workers at the Health and Wellbeing Space can provide additional advice and signpost you to organisations that provide specialist support for any issues you are encountering with your landlord.

Would you like to talk to someone?