What is a Personal Independent Payment (PIP)?

A Personal Independent Payment (PIP for short) is a benefit that helps fund extra living costs for people living with a long-term physical or mental health condition or a disability. Here, you will find information on eligibility and how to make a claim.

Who's eligible for a Personal Indepent Payment?

To be eligible for PIP you must be over the age of 16 and under state pension age. PIP is non-means tested, which means you can be eligible even if you work or have savings. You must have both:

  • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

How to make a claim

  • Phone the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222/0800 917 7777 (textphone). The DWP will ask you for information and assess your eligibility.
  • You can also claim using the Relay UK service if you cannot hear or speak on the phone, or the Video Relay Service for British Sign Language.
  • Complete the PIP2: “How your disability affects you” form
  • Enclose supporting evidence, such as letters from healthcare professionals when you post the form back to the DWP.
  • Attend a medical assessment with a health professional.
  • The DWP will send you a letter informing you of their decision. The letter confirms whether you will get PIP, which PIP components you get and which rate, and the number of points you score in the PIP test.

Claiming under special rules

If you are terminally ill, you may be able to claim under special rules. Special rules mean you can automatically get the daily living component of PIP. You will still need to complete the mobility activities part of the claim form to receive the mobility component. To claim under the special rules, you will need a DS1500 form to be completed by your doctor or another health professional.

Disability living allowance for children

Children under the age of 16 who meet the criteria for PIP may be entitled to DLA. 
The person who looks after the child should apply for DLA on the child’s behalf completing the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children claim form – GOV.UK and posting it to the DWP, alongside any supporting evidence.

If you cannot print the form, you can contact the DLA helpline on 0800 121 4600/0800 121 4523 (textphone) and ask for a printed form.

Would you like to talk to someone?