Behind on rent
payments or facing an eviction notice?

We recognise that this can be profoundly stressful and upsetting, however, there are a number of hardship funds, loans and charities that are ready to help. We can provide you with additional support and advice at the Space and refer you to Croydon Council for further assistance.

What are hardship funds?

Hardship funds are grants provided to people experiencing financial hardship. These are provided by numerous organisations and can be used to pay your rent or service charge arrears. We list some at the bottom of this page.

How can the local authority help?

Croydon Council and the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) provide payments and loans you may be eligible to access. A few are listed below.


A discretionary housing payment (DHP) is an extra payment made by your local council if you’re struggling to pay rent. You don’t need to repay a DHP, however you have to be receiving housing benefits or the universal credit housing element in order to qualify. DHPs can also help pay a tenancy deposit or rent in advance for a new home.


You may be able to get an interest free loan from the DWP, if you are in receipt of certain benefits. Deductions will be taken from your benefit payments over the space of 1 or 2 years until the full amount is repaid.


If you have been told to self-isolate and cannot work from home, you may be eligible for a £500 support payment.


Various charitable organisations provide grants to help people in rent arrears. Our support workers can help you with completing the applications for these grants.
Examples of such organisations are Croydon Nightwatch, The Vicar’s Relief Fund and the Talisman Charitable Fund.

What are my rights if I am being evicted for rent arrears?

Landlords must follow a certain procedure to evict a tenant for rent arrears. You can find more information and advice on the Citizensadvice website. We can also advise you on your rights and signpost you to organisations that can provide additional support for your specific needs.

Which organisations can I contact if I need help with an eviction or paying rent?

Crisis Skylight Croydon

Crisis supports people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. They offer free practical and creative classes and workshops, as well as individually tailored advice, guidance, and coaching sessions in the Skylight centre in Surrey Street and in the community with partner agencies. Self-referrals can be completed via contacting Crisis through their website.

  • Telephone: 0203 848 1700
  • Email:
The Vicar’s Relief Fund

The VRF (Vicar’s Relief Fund) helps people experiencing homelessness through small, quick grants that prevent eviction or help people access accommodation.

The Talisman Charitable Trust

The Talisman Charitable Trust is an organisation voluntarily run by a small team of trustees. They provide grants for those facing or who are in housing poverty.

Please note: The Vicar’s Relief Fund and The Talisman Charitable Trust’s grants are only available to frontline workers. If you would like to apply for one of their grants, please contact us at the Space, and we will complete a referral on your behalf.

Would you like to talk to someone?